Did you know that distraction is a form of sabotage? Oh yes, it’s becoming pretty loud and clear to me that it is.
Here’s a little peek inside my head……..
It goes a little something like this:
An insight pops out in my Morning Pages, meditation or journalling session on the train to work.
The guidance is clear.
I acknowledge that the guidance is clear and thank it.
And then instead of following the guidance – which tends to be really simple things like breathe, tune in, go for a walk, be compassionate towards myself – I go searching for more guidance because I don’t trust that it can be that simple. “Breathing – really, how can breathing fix my problems?” (when deep down I know its one of the most simple and powerful things I can do).
So then I distract myself throughout the day – checking my Facebook newsfeed for anything that jumps out that can help me, or reading through newsletters for hints, or pulling copious amounts of Oracle Cards or asking friends for advice.
Rather than trusting and believing in my own guidance, I distract myself from doing the things that have already been made clear to me (emphasis on the word ‘do‘ here – its all well and good knowing things, acting on them is another thing entirely).
“Ah, Saboteur there you are. You’re enjoying yourself aren’t you, distracting me from being at peace.”
Or another example:
An idea pops into my head.
Rather than honouring that idea then and there and getting it from inside me onto a page, a little voice goes: “Let’s be clear on this idea first. Let’s analyse it, rip it apart, ask for guidance, look at other people’s work to see if it measures up. Ah, there’s no way I can truly honour my idea when she/he has done it so much better than I ever could.”
Wham! Distracted from what truly wants to flow through me and what truly lights me up.
Goodbye, spark of inspiration.
“Why Saboteur, you’re on fire today! Look at you go. Amy doesn’t stand a chance of happiness with you succeeding in feeding her doubt.”
I hope you get the picture. Guidance comes easily and freely (to us all!) and instead of honouring it – I distract myself. The Saboteur voice and influence becomes very loud.
Here are some things I’m contemplating at present, to help me overcome distraction and uncover my joy and true self:
- There is something in me that does not want me attaining the level of self-esteem that I want.
- What is it about my process of finding my true self that my shadow/ego/saboteur doesn’t like?
- Where am I punishing myself?
- If I become empowered, I can never claim fear of success as an excuse again. It means I’d have to burn a whole list of excuses and take charge of my life in a different way.
- If I’m not working on trying to work things out, find clarity, work hard at uncovering things – perhaps that means I won’t have to work any more. Then what do I do?
- Spiritual practices can become obstacles to freedom if I become too attached to them.
- Earn the respect of my spirit, that’s the only respect I need to concern myself with. Self-respect.
- The confident little girl I was born as is still there, underneath all the conditioning, she’s in there – and wants out.
- If I had all the confidence in the world, what would I do?
- I’ve got to find the willingness and discipline to continue on this path of empowerment, starting with: I’ve got to find one thing about myself to respect, and build from there.
- If I was strong in self, I would say: “No distractions, let’s get to work.“
- As I invest in my priorities, I invest in myself. My inner self will feel loved and cared for, I’ll feel loved and cared for – which attracts more love and abundance to me.
This is all Solar Plexus chakra stuff, stemming back to love of self, confidence in self, trust in self.
No, I’m not going to run to an energy healer for help. No, I’m not going to ask someone else for advice. No, I’m not going to journal this out. No, I’m not going to phone a friend and ask for guidance. No, I’m not going to ponder and dissect this, look for excuses to blame a past life or someone in my past for influencing me to be this way. No, I’m not giving my power away.
This requires action. Empowering from within.
I’m going to earn the respect of my Spirit. By doing at least one thing that will make me feel good about myself and help me believe that I am worthy.
Something small and accomplishable.
I’m going to do what I know I need to do. Which is write (not blog posts, not journal entries, nor morning pages). Creative writing. My Spirit wants to speak (which my ego obviously doesn’t want to happen as its voice will be crowded out).
That means shutting out distractions.
Devoting myself to that one priority. Making space to explore this. One page per day of writing whatever wants to come out. Full days committed to writing and creativity.
Honouring my spirit.
I can hold my head up high and say I’m trying. Which ultimately increases my confidence in myself.
Building my self-respect, self-esteem, self-worth, self-love.
What are you distracting yourself from?
If you had all the confidence in the world, what would you do?
What one thing can you do that will help you build your self-esteem? Your respect for yourself?
Pick ONE thing that you can develop that will alter the way you look at yourself. It might be a 3 minute meditation each morning, or committing to 3 days a week at the gym, it might be donating old clothes and treating yourself to an upgraded wardrobe, or cooking fresh food instead of eating out all the time, it might be reading a self-help book for 15 minutes each day, or it might be shutting down social media for a month while your explore what you want in your life rather than being influenced by others.
It doesn’t have to be huge. Consider what you would like to improve, something tangible that you can see and feel your progress and commit to it.
Start small and then build on that – the rest (relationships, career, abundance, love, purpose, intuition etc) all flow from a healthy love and approval of self. It’s that simple.
For when you believe you can…..you can.
Note: I’ve been trying this for over a week now. I’ve committed to a simple writing practice and I’m loving it. The increase in how I feel about myself has been huge and it’s starting to play out in other areas of my life – I’m exercising more, eating healthier and generally feeling much better about myself and life in general. So simple, yet so effective.
I’ve been consciously working with the energies of the Moon for over a year now and find it incredibly empowering and supportive.
I’ve had a number of requests to share my New Moon Ritual from people who have loved and found great benefit from the Full Moon Letting Go Ritual
What’s so special about the Moon?
The moon, being the closest astronomical body to Earth, has a profound effect on us. It represents the feminine, emotional, creative and nurturing aspects of our lives.
One complete cycle of the moon takes exactly 28 days to complete, radiating her energy to us in cycles of waxing and waning, bringing in and releasing, ebbing and flowing.
Many cultures and people believe in following the cycles of the moon, working with this wonderful gift of nature, harnessing the different energetic influences at each of the stages.
The Cycles of the Moon:
- New Moon: A new cycle. An energy of new possibilities. Time to set your intentions for what you want to bring into your life.
- Waxing Moon: New growth, continued action, results will come about.
- Full Moon: High tide of power, amplifying and creative. It is a time to release and let go of that which no longer serves you, what you no longer need in your life or an aspect of yourself that you have outgrown.
- Waning Moon: Withdrawing, a sucking and pulling impact.
- Dark Moon: A time to go within. Solitude. A powerful psychic time where revelations from deep within can emerge. It’s important to make space for the unfolding of spirit at this time in preparation for the new cycle and beginning.
The New Moon marks the beginning of the cycle and the Full Moon is the release.
My New Moon Ritual
My friend Connie and I have been doing a New Moon Ritual each new moon for nearly a year now – we love it and find it incredibly powerful and supportive.
Each New Moon (or around the time of the new moon), Connie and I meet up to celebrate and say goodbye to the past lunar cycle and welcome the new lunar cycle and the fresh new energy that comes with it.
It’s a time where we set our intentions for the next 28 days.
- We usually journal and reflect on the past cycle before we meet up. As well as research the energy of the upcoming lunar cycle.
- Then when together, we share with each other our learnings and experiences over a cup of herbal tea/green juice and some raw chocolates. It’s our chance to celebrate what has happened before moving onto a new cycle.
- We then discuss a broad intention for the new cycle, what we’d like to each focus on or feel within ourselves, taking into account the current astrological energies and how they can support our intentions.
- Then it’s time for our Oracle Card reading, where we dive deeper into our intention.
- We spread out all of our oracle decks on the floor (between us we have quite a collection!)
- We use a template from my Oracle Card Guide, each of us taking turns to pull 5 cards (based on the 5 lunar stages listed above) and placing them in a lunar cycle on the floor.
- We then share our intuitive feelings and insights, discussing the energy of each card, coaching each other to harness the positive energy of our reading.
- We take notes and a photo of our cards and use these throughout the lunar cycle to check in with how we’re going in relation to the card for each part of that cycle.
- Throughout the cycle we’ll drop a short email or text: “How are you tracking?” – it’s nice to be open and share experiences, having someone to talk through the positive and challenging times. Connie and I are both going through massive transformation and have found this process very supportive. The ebb and flow of the moon, reflecting the ebb and flow of our internal and external movements and feelings.
Here’s a snapshot of me jotting down notes from our new moon reading today:
Your New Moon Ritual – Intention Setting
I encourage you to build a ritual that works for you. The main idea behind a New Moon Ritual is that it’s a chance for a fresh start, one where you can use the supportive lunar energy to set a fresh intention.
You can do it on your own but I highly recommend doing it with a friend. Sharing with someone else is very transformative. It pushes you to explore things from a different perspective (and often things that you tend to hide from make themselves known through the voice of another). There’s something to be said in sharing for accountability too, totally amps up the power!
- Journal and reflect what has happened this past month: what have you learned, what have been your challenges, what has worked. Treat yourself to a nice drink, chocolate, candle – something to signal that you’re celebrating the past cycle.
- Then tune in to what you would like to focus on for the month ahead. How do you want to feel? Feel this in your body and then be open to how this feeling transpires. The feeling is important. You’re not saying how things are going to happen, you’re experiencing it as if its already happened – which then attracts things to you, without you having to push and control. Lunar energy is all about receiving.
- If you’d like to dive deeper into your intention, do an oracle card reading. Here’s a copy of the lunar reading from my Oracle Guide that I use. (If you wish to learn more about oracle cards, you can buy the full oracle guide here).
With the new moon reading, pull 5 oracle cards. Note, that card 4 is the card that Connie and I like to call our ‘warning’ card. Its the guidance that we need to keep in mind, something in our lives to be wary of, a gentle nudge from the Universe.
- Then throughout the next 28 days, tune in continuously to your intention. If your intention was to feel more confident, are you feeling the energy of confidence in your body? What are you doing/stopping doing to feel that way? What people and circumstances are coming into your life to help you with that? What challenges are you encountering? Where are you holding yourself back? What guidance did you receive from the oracle cards? What is the card from the current lunar stage you are in guiding you on? How is this helping you fully embody your intention?
- Share with a friend. Journal. Reflect. Set a reminder on your phone to tune in every few days. How are you tracking?
The moon’s energy is a very feminine energy. Intuitive. Receiving. Gentle. Guided Action.
Not brute force. Not pushing. Not control.
It’s all about feeling, feeling in your body, getting out of your head.
There will be ebb and flow. Action and resting. Being and doing.
Create your own special ritual, to start fresh each lunar cycle and explore your inner self. You’ll be amazed what you discover.
There are a lot of endings and new beginnings stirring in the air.
I drew a Tarot card on Monday morning as a focus for the week and out popped the ‘Death’ card. I tend to welcome this card, not as a bad omen, but as an opportunity for things to end in order to welcome new beginnings. I also had a dream about fire the night before so I knew that things were being burned away – cleansed and purified.
This was a good sign.
So what’s dying? Ending? On its way out for me?
The searching is dying. The pain and struggle is ending. Not trusting is leaving. Overconsumption is stopping. Searching externally is being toned down – a lot! Locking myself away to stay safe is ceasing. The need to have things all proper and lined up is finishing. The sole focus on healing is ending – I am whole and complete.
I’ve been keeping myself reserved based on fear of what other people think. I’ve shut myself away to shed skins and allowed myself to be vulnerable, energetically naked.
Now…it’s time to let myself out. To let go energetically in order for my external environment to shift with me. To try new things. Mess up if that’s what’s needed to at least try. To not be the boring dependable one. To be the lighthearted and free one.
I’m free. To be me. Not a version of what I think other people want me to be or what I feel I have to be to fit in.
“Be Me and Be Free” is my mantra.
- The BE ME image was designed for me by the lovely Jo Kilma (Maps to Herself). Her work is stunning! If you would like a copy of BE ME for yourself, you can download it here.
- The BE FREE Oracle Card is from the gorgeous deck by Helen Jacobs (The Little Sage). I love that the woman in the image is wearing red (grounding) and is climbing up, to a higher perspective – a nice balance.
Dr Wayne W Dyer, in his book Wishes Fulfilled, states:
“You must be willing to die as your FORMER self in order to meet your FULLER self.”
I interpret this as:
- You must be willing to let go of the person you think you are, what you’ve been conditioned to be, in order to embrace the person you were born to be.
- You must be willing to lose old behaviours that keep you safe.
- You must be willing to lose the conditioning that is keeping you small.
- You must be willing to overcome the barriers and confines placed around you, that either you have placed or other people are placing around you, that keep you as a lessor version of yourself. That keep you in the ‘normal’ and confined safety zone.
- You must be willing to let the old go, in order to be a higher version of yourself. To embody your Highest Self.
- You must be willing to stand out rather than fit in.
Be willing to EXPLORE rather than RESIST your higher powers.
Imagine who you could be, if you were free to explore what lights you up?
- What confines (rules, roles and expectations) have I placed upon myself?
- What confines (rules, roles and expectations) have I accepted from others?
- Do these confines serve me?
- Or do they limit me and my progress?
- How can I be free of these trappings?
- With freedom, what would I do?
Say goodbye to what’s not working, to what’s holding you back.
Say goodbye to the old you. The you that hinges yourself on things that aren’t your truth.
Be You and Be Free.