I’ve been consciously working with the energies of the Moon for over a year now and find it incredibly empowering and supportive.
I’ve had a number of requests to share my New Moon Ritual from people who have loved and found great benefit from the Full Moon Letting Go Ritual
What’s so special about the Moon?
The moon, being the closest astronomical body to Earth, has a profound effect on us. It represents the feminine, emotional, creative and nurturing aspects of our lives.
One complete cycle of the moon takes exactly 28 days to complete, radiating her energy to us in cycles of waxing and waning, bringing in and releasing, ebbing and flowing.
Many cultures and people believe in following the cycles of the moon, working with this wonderful gift of nature, harnessing the different energetic influences at each of the stages.
The Cycles of the Moon:
- New Moon: A new cycle. An energy of new possibilities. Time to set your intentions for what you want to bring into your life.
- Waxing Moon: New growth, continued action, results will come about.
- Full Moon: High tide of power, amplifying and creative. It is a time to release and let go of that which no longer serves you, what you no longer need in your life or an aspect of yourself that you have outgrown.
- Waning Moon: Withdrawing, a sucking and pulling impact.
- Dark Moon: A time to go within. Solitude. A powerful psychic time where revelations from deep within can emerge. It’s important to make space for the unfolding of spirit at this time in preparation for the new cycle and beginning.
The New Moon marks the beginning of the cycle and the Full Moon is the release.
My New Moon Ritual
My friend Connie and I have been doing a New Moon Ritual each new moon for nearly a year now – we love it and find it incredibly powerful and supportive.
Each New Moon (or around the time of the new moon), Connie and I meet up to celebrate and say goodbye to the past lunar cycle and welcome the new lunar cycle and the fresh new energy that comes with it.
It’s a time where we set our intentions for the next 28 days.
- We usually journal and reflect on the past cycle before we meet up. As well as research the energy of the upcoming lunar cycle.
- Then when together, we share with each other our learnings and experiences over a cup of herbal tea/green juice and some raw chocolates. It’s our chance to celebrate what has happened before moving onto a new cycle.
- We then discuss a broad intention for the new cycle, what we’d like to each focus on or feel within ourselves, taking into account the current astrological energies and how they can support our intentions.
- Then it’s time for our Oracle Card reading, where we dive deeper into our intention.
- We spread out all of our oracle decks on the floor (between us we have quite a collection!)
- We use a template from my Oracle Card Guide, each of us taking turns to pull 5 cards (based on the 5 lunar stages listed above) and placing them in a lunar cycle on the floor.
- We then share our intuitive feelings and insights, discussing the energy of each card, coaching each other to harness the positive energy of our reading.
- We take notes and a photo of our cards and use these throughout the lunar cycle to check in with how we’re going in relation to the card for each part of that cycle.
- Throughout the cycle we’ll drop a short email or text: “How are you tracking?” – it’s nice to be open and share experiences, having someone to talk through the positive and challenging times. Connie and I are both going through massive transformation and have found this process very supportive. The ebb and flow of the moon, reflecting the ebb and flow of our internal and external movements and feelings.
Here’s a snapshot of me jotting down notes from our new moon reading today:
Your New Moon Ritual – Intention Setting
I encourage you to build a ritual that works for you. The main idea behind a New Moon Ritual is that it’s a chance for a fresh start, one where you can use the supportive lunar energy to set a fresh intention.
You can do it on your own but I highly recommend doing it with a friend. Sharing with someone else is very transformative. It pushes you to explore things from a different perspective (and often things that you tend to hide from make themselves known through the voice of another). There’s something to be said in sharing for accountability too, totally amps up the power!
- Journal and reflect what has happened this past month: what have you learned, what have been your challenges, what has worked. Treat yourself to a nice drink, chocolate, candle – something to signal that you’re celebrating the past cycle.
- Then tune in to what you would like to focus on for the month ahead. How do you want to feel? Feel this in your body and then be open to how this feeling transpires. The feeling is important. You’re not saying how things are going to happen, you’re experiencing it as if its already happened – which then attracts things to you, without you having to push and control. Lunar energy is all about receiving.
- If you’d like to dive deeper into your intention, do an oracle card reading. Here’s a copy of the lunar reading from my Oracle Guide that I use. (If you wish to learn more about oracle cards, you can buy the full oracle guide here).
With the new moon reading, pull 5 oracle cards. Note, that card 4 is the card that Connie and I like to call our ‘warning’ card. Its the guidance that we need to keep in mind, something in our lives to be wary of, a gentle nudge from the Universe.
- Then throughout the next 28 days, tune in continuously to your intention. If your intention was to feel more confident, are you feeling the energy of confidence in your body? What are you doing/stopping doing to feel that way? What people and circumstances are coming into your life to help you with that? What challenges are you encountering? Where are you holding yourself back? What guidance did you receive from the oracle cards? What is the card from the current lunar stage you are in guiding you on? How is this helping you fully embody your intention?
- Share with a friend. Journal. Reflect. Set a reminder on your phone to tune in every few days. How are you tracking?
The moon’s energy is a very feminine energy. Intuitive. Receiving. Gentle. Guided Action.
Not brute force. Not pushing. Not control.
It’s all about feeling, feeling in your body, getting out of your head.
There will be ebb and flow. Action and resting. Being and doing.
Create your own special ritual, to start fresh each lunar cycle and explore your inner self. You’ll be amazed what you discover.