I’d love to share with you a tool that I find incredibly useful, connecting with your Higher Self.
This topic has come up quite a lot recently in client healing sessions – with me being guided to encourage people to connect with their Higher Selves – to help them get in touch with their true nature as well as empower them to work out life purpose questions for themselves.
Who is your Higher Self?
Your Higher Self is you. The complete you. With complete awareness and understanding of your inner truth and knowledge.
Your Higher Self is the guardian of all the possibilities of who you are – in your conscious, subconscious and unconscious minds.
It knows who you are and who you are becoming.
It knows the whole of you and your purpose.
What does your Higher Self do?
As the pure, wise and knowing part of you, aware of everything about you, your Higher Self offers you guidance on all levels of your life. From everyday living to the more spiritual, your Higher Self can help guide you to what is in your highest good. It knows your life path, who you will become and how to get there.
Your teacher and mentor, with the knowledge of all your experiences (past, present and future), your Higher Self guides you to your truth. It is a channel of knowledge, awareness and light.
Through the wisdom and knowledge of your Higher Self, you become aware of your soul and your true self.
Your Higher Self is your constant companion and ally, loving and supporting you unconditionally. Your ultimate guide.
“Your Higher Self is always with you, gently calling you to acknowledge the greater parts of yourself. Fostering that relationship will allow you to be inspired by wisdom and nourished by love.” ~ Tricia Brennan
Where is your Higher Self?
Your Higher Self is you, it’s an aspect of you. It resides in the ether yet is very much a part of you. It’s your total soul consciousness.
It is in touch with the Divine because it is part of it. As such, it connects you to the spiritual realms.
What does your Higher Self look like?
How you perceive your Higher Self is unique to you. You may sense it as an energy or feeling or you may see an image similar to yourself (the same sex as you with similar features – with no ‘perceived’ flaws) or as a mother figure, wise one or teacher.
Reconnecting with your Higher Self
I say reconnecting (or reuniting) because in essence, you’ve always been connected to your Higher Self, its a matter of consciously connecting – tapping into the wisdom that resides inside of you.
You’ve known your Higher Self forever, in every lifetime you have experienced. A special bond having formed throughout your soul’s entire existence.
In connecting, it’s like reuniting with a most trusted friend. It can be quite an emotional experience.
I first consciously connected with my Higher Self in 2012. My intention at the time was to try and work out what my purpose in life was. I did this by meditation. These are my notes from my first experience with her:
Meditation: I created an inner sanctuary that consists of a huge tree house high up in the middle of a forest. This is where I feel safe and secure. I access this sanctuary through a door at the end of a path surrounded by nature. I asked my Higher Self to appear and she appeared in front of me, gently walking towards me.
My Higher Self: She wears long white robes tied in a belt at her waist, has long blonde hair, bright blue eyes, a heart shaped face and beautiful smile. She smells of vanilla, rose and lavender. She is Goddess-like and very feminine. She is elegant, regal, calm, peaceful, powerful, wise, gentle, kind, safe, patient, soft, warm, has presence, authoritative and loves nature. I feel at ease and safe in her presence.
I asked “Who am I?” and the only responses she would give me now were – kind, caring, wise and old soul – she asked me to be patient with answers to this question. Her lips didn’t move like normal conversation, these words formed in my mind as a knowing. I was eager to delve into deeper topics but she asked for patience, there would be plenty of time, I have lessons still to learn and to stop pushing too hard. Her advice was to stay true to myself, stand in my own power and to stop comparison and judgement.
A truly wonderful experience. Very emotional. Like a coming home.
Nowadays, I consciously connect with my Higher Self everyday:
- Even though she is part of me, I like to imagine her as external to me, acting as a gateway. I imagine a rainbow between her and I, when the rainbow is bright and colourful I know our connection is strong.
- I like to imagine her as the gateway between me and Spirit. Any Angels or Guides that wish to communicate with me must go through her – she knows what’s best for me after all so I trust that whatever is in my highest good will be directed to me through her.
- I ask her for advice and guidance constantly. Or if I’m seeking some safety, I imagine being in the inner sanctuary with her.
- Sometimes we sit in silence, other times she shows me past lives. She likes to communicate with me in symbols, empowering me to work out the messages for myself. Sometime I get words, other times images, a lot of the time its a knowing or a strong feeling.
Reconnecting with your Higher Self – MEDITATION
Taking quiet time in contemplation and meditation creates an avenue for your Higher Self to communicate to you through your intuition.
Requirements: A quiet place where you can sit or lie down comfortably, pen/pencil and a notebook. An an open mind!
Time required: 5 – 15 minutes
- Sit or lay quietly, close your eyes and set the intention to reconnect with your loving Higher Self.
- Take a few deep breaths to calm and centre yourself.
- Imagine you are in a forest, you’re walking along a path, you can reach out and touch flowers or trees. There is no one else around but you.
- You come to a doorway on the path, you open the door and walk through. You are now in your safe place. It may be a treehouse, room, park, under a tree – whatever feels safe to you.Feel at ease. This is your inner sanctuary.
- As you relax, you feel a special sense of awareness build inside of you. As you look around, you see your Higher Self is waiting for you.
- You may get an image or impression, or feel a great calmness or warmth wash over you. You may just know that they are there.
- As you look at your Higher Self, you experience an incredible feeling of trust.
- Your Higher Self begins to walk towards you and you sense the knowledge and energy that radiate from within your Higher Self.
- As you both embrace and reunite, you feel yourself merge into the knowledge and awareness. This is you, the higher aspect of you.
- This is your special time with your Higher Self. You may want to just embrace the energy, you may want to ask questions. Go with what feels right in building a rapport with them.
- Spend as much time as you want with your Higher Self. They are there to help and guide you.
- When you feel you have spent enough time, thank your Higher Self and commit to staying in touch with them.
- Leave your inner sanctuary, walk along the path in the forest and back to where you are sitting or laying. Affirm to yourself that you are back in present time and place.
- Breathe deeply, feeling in harmony with yourself and your Higher Self.
- Breathe in the awareness and the understanding of everything you’ve discovered about your Higher Self.
- Grab your pen and paper and make as many notes as you can: how you felt, what was communicated, what your Higher Self looked like. This will help you become even more aware of your Higher Self and your true path in life.
I encourage you to give this a try and to stick with it. When I first did this I committed to connecting every day for one month. Some days I would sense nothing, other days were incredibly profound.
Now I’d be lost without my regular interaction with my Higher Self. She’s my most trusted ally and advisor. She knows – everything!
Some other tips and notes:
- BELIEVE. There is a higher aspect inside of you.
- Be PATIENT. You may not get a sense of anything first try. Keep trying.
- JOURNAL. Record your experiences, your feelings, emotions and insights. Write questions in your journal and then ask your Higher Self to help you with them. You may not get the answer straight away, but you will receive an answer.
- SPEAK to your Higher Self. Have an inner dialogue with them. Chat to them as you would a trusted friend. Listen for the answers.
- Pay attention to DREAMS. Ask your Higher Self to help you before you go to sleep. Keep a notepad under your pillow and write what you remember immediately when you wake up.
Your Higher Self wants to help you. It is you! Open up to the magic inside of you.