I often get emails or friend’s asking about how to meet their Angels or Spirit Guides so I thought I’d share one of the techniques that I use.
We are all guided and supported by Angels and Spirit Guides, there are no exceptions – you too are watched over. As playful children we have a close affinity with them but as we grow older we tend to lose our awareness of them, our cynical minds getting the better of us.
Angels: I’ve written a series about Angels here – you can read up about them if this is new to you.
Spirit Guides: For me, my understanding of Spirit Guides are that they are entities that are disembodied spirit and act as guides or protectors for us. Some Spirit Guides can be with us all of our life, while others will enter in at different periods of our life to help with the different phases of our journey (e.g. going to college, having a baby, leaving a job).
To give you a few examples: My late Great Grandmother is one of my Spirit Guides and drops in now and then to make sure I’m ok. I’ve had an American Indian called Tominyon help me at the start of my Energetic Healing diploma, I believe he helped guide me to that but I haven’t seen him again since then.
I’d like to share a method I use to connect with my Angels or Spirit Guides. This is a method I have compiled, pulling on various techniques I’ve learnt from teachers or books.
Your safe place: Before you begin, spend a moment thinking of or imagining a safe place, one where you can relax and know you are safe. This might be somewhere you’ve been before (a place in nature or your bedroom for example) or you might like to create and imagine somewhere (I love using my imagination so I have created a tree-house in the middle of an Amazon jungle, the tree-house is high up on a huge tree overlooking the forest).
Tip: I use my safe place for a lot of mediations. I also go there in my mind often, it is so peaceful and calm. Keep this up your sleeve for when you need some peace and quiet during the day and imagine yourself there.
Connecting with your Angel or Spirit Guide
Requirements: A quiet place where you can sit or lie down comfortably, pen/pencil and a notebook, an open mind!
Time required: 5 – 15 minutes
- Sit or lay quietly, close your eyes and set the intention to meet either one of your Angels or Spirit Guides.
- Take a few deep breaths to calm and centre yourself.
- Imagine you are in a forest, you’re walking along a path, you can reach out and touch flowers or trees. There is no one else around but you.
- You come to a doorway on the path, you open the door and walk through. You are now in your safe place. Look around, find a comfortable place to stand or sit. Feel at ease. This is your place and only you can invite people to enter.
- Once you are settled, invite either your Angel or Spirit Guide to enter through the door you have just come through.
- Picture the door opening. Welcome them in and invite this Being to come stand or sit with you.
- Ask your Angel or Guide to reveal themselves to you. All you need to do is observe, relax and notice what comes up. You may get an image of them, or feel a great calmness or warmth when they enter. You might hear them whisper hello. Or you may feel a gentle touch on your shoulder or arm to let you know they are there. You may just know that they are there. Keep an open mind to how they communicate with you.
- Ask them questions. Are they an Angel or Guide? Are they male or female? What is their name? What do they look like? What are they wearing? Do they have a message for you?
- Even if you can’t see this wonderful Being, you will feel or sense it. A part of your body may feel warm or tingly, you may hear gentle whispers or get a sense of who the Being is.
- Ask as many questions as you want. Be curious. Trust what you sense. If you sense or feel nothing, ask for a sign (you may get a noise, an image, a touch).
- Spend as much time as you want with your special friend. They are there to help and guide you.
- When you feel you have spent enough time, thank your Angel or Guide for making themselves known to you and commit to staying in touch with them.
- Watch them leave through the door in your safe place or you can walk out the door together.
- Walk along the path in the forest and back to where you are sitting or laying. Affirm to yourself that you are back in present time and place.
- Breathe deeply, open your eyes, wriggle about. You are now back where you started (with your Angel or Guide by your side).
- Grab your pen and paper and make as many notes as you can. This is something you may want to look back on at a later time.
I hope you find this technique useful. I love having a safe place to go to where only Beings of love can enter.
Some things to note:
Go easy on yourself. If you can’t SEE your Guide, it doesn’t mean that it’s not there. When I first started this, I didn’t see anything but I got a tingly feeling and warmth down my right side. Be open to how they communicate with you. As you practice using your imagination, your inner sight develops and you may see your Guide at another time.
Also if you connect with a Spirit Guide, be open to the many forms they can take. For example, one of my Spirit Guides is a cat called Banjo that wears a bow tie. It’s eyes and bow tie change colour depending on what chakra I need to work on.
If you didn’t get a message be open to signs and messages you may receive in the following days. For example, I had asked for the name of my Guide but didn’t get it until a few days later when I kept seeing the name ‘Annie’ everywhere (look out for signs coming in 3s).
There are no rules. If you want to meet your Guide in an imaginary field, then imagine that. If you want to high five them, then you can imagine that too. Go with what feels right for you.
In my experience, once you have met your Angel or Guide on this first occasion, you don’t need to go through this process again. You’ll know when they’re around (be sure to ask them to give you a sign that they’re with you).
You have lots of Angels and Guides, your very own support team, so use this or tweak this to suit you when you want to meet more or have a specific question you need help with. They’re eager and willing to help.
I love using this technique so I hope you find benefit in it too. If you find this useful, I’d love for you to share your story with me below – I’m always eager to hear Angel or Guides stories.
Enjoy connecting with your fabulous Angels and Guides.
Image found here